Known as the “Queen of Gems,” pearls are the world’s oldest gem and one of nature’s greatest miracles. Pearl jewelry can elevate an outfit regardless of the occasion, so it’s no surprise that the accessory has been coveted for centuries. Vinciguerra Jewelry offers a wide selection of stylish, high-quality pearl jewelry for affordable prices. Pearl jewelry designs can range from classic and elegant to modern and trendy. Whether you’re shopping for someone special or yourself, our professional staff can help you select the perfect piece!Get in Touch
Types of Pearl Jewelry
Pearl jewelry pieces are timeless, full of grace, and flattering on everyone. Whether worn casually or formally, pearls come in many styles to complete your look. Popular types of pearl jewelry include:
- Pearl necklaces – Choker or cathedral length, singular or multiple gems, pearl necklaces are stylish and make a statement. Whether studs or placed on a paper clip style chain, pearl necklaces are popular for teens and adults alike.
- Pearl earrings – Available in studs, dangles, and hoops, pearl earrings can pair with your everyday look or heighten your business casual style.
- Pearl rings – Choose a singular pearl on a plain band to elevate your day-to-day or incorporate other gemstones with a unique band to reach “wow” status.
- Pearl engagement rings – Show your significant other how much of a treasure they are to you with a stunning pearl engagement ring.
- Pearl bracelets – Complement your pearl necklace with a similar bracelet to tie your look together. You can show class wherever you go, whether several layers or a singular string.
- Pearl pendants – The teardrop pearl pendant necklace is highly sought after. It’s elegant, regal, and beautifies any outfit. With many options available, pearl pendants are treasured by many.
Types of Pearls
Once you choose the jewelry piece you’re seeking, the next step is to decide which type of pearl you want to be featured. The two main types of pearls include:
- Natural Pearls – Natural pearls form when a mollusk produces layers of nacre around a microscopic irritant, such as another organism, within its mantle. This process requires no human intervention.
- Cultured Pearls – Today, mollusks raised in pearl farms receive a delicate surgical procedure where a technician inserts a “mother-of-pearl” bead nucleus into the mantle to culture a pearl.
Pearls can be cultivated in freshwater or saltwater. There are several different types of pearls depending on what mollusk they originate from, creating a wide variety of pearl jewelry options.
The four major types of cultured pearls include:
Akoya Cultured Pearls
The most familiar saltwater cultured pearl, Akoya pearls, are mainly produced in China. They are renowned for their brilliant luster and rich colors, ranging from white to cream and pink to silvery pink. These are often considered the classic pearl used for jewelry, especially single-strand necklaces.
South Sea Cultured Pearls
Australia, Indonesia, and the Philippines are leading sources of South Sea saltwater cultured pearls. These pearls can range from white to silver or golden, depending on the type of oyster. They have a long growth period, resulting in large pearl size and thick nacre.
Tahitian Cultured Pearls
Tahitian cultured pearls are cultivated primarily in Tahiti and other islands within French Polynesia. These saltwater cultured pearls are also known as black, although their color spectrum includes gray, brown, blue, green, purple, and pink.
Freshwater Cultured Pearls
The most commonly produced pearls are formed in freshwater and thus are typically more affordable than saltwater pearls. These are one of the most popular pearl types among jewelry designers due to their remarkable range of sizes, shapes, and colors. They are usually cultured in freshwater lakes and ponds, with many pearls created by one oyster.
When freshwater pearls have an irregular non-spherical shape, they are called baroque pearls. Shapes can range from minor aberrations to distinctly ovoid, curved, pinch, or lumpy shapes.
Cultured pearls are popular for bead necklaces and bracelets or mounted in solitaires, pairs, or clusters for earrings, rings, and pendants. Larger pearls with unusual shapes provide a unique jewelry design. Colored pearl jewelry is often an edgier alternative to the traditional white pearl.
How to Care for Pearls
Pearls require special care compared to other gemstones and precious metals. Pearls are relatively soft, so it’s essential to take extra precautions. Wear your pearls after you finish getting ready, as many beauty products contain chemicals or acids that can damage or dull them. Then, once you return home, wipe your pearl jewelry with a soft cloth to remove any harmful residue from the day.
Keep your pearls separate from hard jewelry items, such as metals or other precious gemstones, to reduce the chance of scratching. It’s best to store your pearls in a soft cloth pouch or a nicely lined jewelry box away from other items. If you plan to wear your pearls often, swing by our store at least once yearly to ensure they remain intact.
With proper attention and care, your pearls can last for generations!
Personalized Pearl Jewelry
At Vinciguerra Jewelry, you can also personalize your pearl jewelry. Depending on the piece, we can add custom engraving to include meaningful words, phrases, your monogram, or a special date.
Pearl Jewelry in St. Louis
At our family-owned St. Louis jewelry store, we’re committed to providing friendly customer service and high-quality jewelry selections. Let us help you find the right piece of pearl jewelry today!Get in Touch